One of the greatest culinary herbs available, Basil can be found in many popular Asian and Mediterranean dishes. While sweet basil is most common, flavors like lemon, cinnamon, and even chocolate basil are available as well. This plant has bright green and tender leaves with small white flowers. The flavor of this herb is quite strong, slightly peppery with hints of clove. Pairs beautifully with tomatoes and garlic. When purchasing basil, look out for fresh green leaves and try to avoid copper colored leaves or flower buds. In this post we’ll be making a traditional green pesto, which is an easy way to enjoy this versatile herb as a condiment.
Makes 200ml // Equipment Food Processor // Difficulty Easy // Allergens Nuts
- 80ml Arbequina extra virgin olive oil
- 20g Pine nuts
- 50g Fresh basil leaves
- 5g Chopped garlic (1tspn)
- 50g Finely grated parmesan
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add 25ml olive oil to the food processor followed by the remaining ingredients besides the salt and pepper.
- Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped and mixed well together. Scrape the sides and process for a few seconds longer.
- Add the leftover olive oil and process until blended well together. Season to taste.
- Scoop the pesto in a jar and refrigerate. Enjoy!
Do you have any ideas to improve this recipe and make it even better? Post a comment below!